Friday, June 12, 2015

Coffee decreases my sleepwalking

As part of my investigation of what factor impacts my sleepwalking, I looked at the effect of drinking coffee.This is mostly to determine how safe or dangerous this drink is in correlation with my sleepwalking.

Coffee was an obvious parameter to see if there is any correlation with sleepwalking.
To my surprise coffee ... decreases the number of sleepwalking events, by 12% (see graph A below)!!
Average values, +/- SEM. % variation and statistical significance are indicated (if less than 1%)
Interestingly the average heart rate increase (graph B), event complexity (graph C) and event length are not affected (graph D) while the average time between events (graph E) and the time of the first event of the night (graph F) are both increased.

The next step is to look at correlation between the time of drinking coffee and my sleepwalking scores. Would a morning coffee have a different effect than an afternoon one for example?
As the graphs G to L below show there is no clear time effect, but more data need to be collected to be conclusive.
Average values, +/- SEM. % variation and statistical significance are indicated (if less than 1%)


Those data do not include nights with clonazepam and take into account the effect of tiredness.
And the impact of coffee on my sleepwalking is not due to a coffee dependent alteration of my sleep habits, as the graphs M to R below show.
Average values, +/- SEM. % variation and statistical significance are indicated (if less than 1%)

Last updated: 23 Sept 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment